Thursday, November 10, 2011

Whole Wheat Sourdough Sandwich Bread!

Finally, success making a completely whole wheat bread  with Eatwell Farm Expresso flour.  The recipe comes from the website http://www.thefreshloaf.com  If you go to their website, select Handbook at the top of the page and then recipes on the subsequent page you will see the recipe listed.  It made a big ol' loaf. I probably could have put it in a bigger (9x5)  pan without a problem, but I didn't want to risk it.  Also, I probably could have done the full three hour initial ferment instead of just about 2 hours.  The loaf did 'pull' on one side probably due to under proofing.  I got nervous half way thru the bake when the crust was looking pretty anemic so I rubbed some cold butter on it while it was in the oven.  Also, I rubbed more butter on the top crust when it came out to hopefully provide a softer crust. I have to wait at least an hour before I cut into it (patience!)  The bread -


Next time, I'm going to try an updated version of this recipe that makes two loaves (also on the same site but need to search for whole wheat sourdough sandwich to find it).

No comments:

Post a Comment