Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Rustic Bread Baking Today

In the quest to develop my bread baking skills, today I am making a rustic bread recipe from http://www.thefreshloaf.com  The recipe makes two loaves but I decreased everything to make 1 loaf. The dough just finished the second stretch and fold of the bulk fermentation (first rise) process.  The dough has another 1 1/2 hours to rise before shaping. 

For my birthday, I received 2 brotforms, a 9 inch round and an 11 inch oval.  I washed them with hot water, dried them and sprayed with a thin film of cooking spray a few days ago.  Today I prepared the round brotform by liberally dusting it with a combination of 50% white rice flour and 50% all purpose flour, being sure to work the flour into the little nooks of the form.  The brotform is used in the final proofing of the dough.  I'll be making a boule with the rustic bread dough.  Stay tuned for updates on the bread's progress from dough to finished product.

Here is a picture of the finished loaf:


The obligatory crumb shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment