Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sourdough Onion Caraway Rye Bread

Today, I got to try out a recipe for sourdough onion caraway rye bread known on the Freshloaf website (http://www.thefreshloaf.com) as Eric's Fav Rye.  I didn't have dried onions in the house so I sauteed 2 medium onions in 2 TBSP olive oil until they were transparent and then cooled them in the fridge.  Two days ago I made a rye starter from 50g  of my whole wheat sourdough starter and 100g. dark rye flour(Bob's Red Mill) and 100g. water.  I then took 100g of this mixture last night and made the sponge per the recipe. Today everything came together in the final dough.  I added quite a bit of flour as I kneaded the bread for about 10 minutes, then I did 4 or 5 stretch and folds to aid in the gluten development.  After the dough rose for 1 hour at 80F, I divided and preshaped the loaves into boules.  After a 10 minute bench rest, I did the final shaping - one boule and one batard and then into floured bannetons they went.  After a 45 minute final rise, I first baked the batard and then the boule as they could not both fit on my oven baking tiles in one baking session.  Here are the finished loaves -

No comments:

Post a Comment