Friday, September 2, 2011

Making Romano Cheese 9/2/2011

Hey, today's fun is making Romano Cheese.  I printed the recipe down from Gavin Webber's site http://www.littlegreencheese.com It worked really well, but did take some time to put together - especially the stirring and stirring and stirring for over 1 1/2 hours but, it looks good so far.  It is one hour away from the end of its 3 hour press, then back into the press with more weight for 12 hours.  At the end of the pressing, I'll be brining the cheese then drying and into the cheese cave.  In about 5 or more months I'll have a nice 2 lb. block of Romano.  I'm just not sure if I want to wax the cheese after if drys for a while or coat with olive oil.  We'll see when we get there.  Right now I'm leaning toward waxing since it will mean I don't have to be so concerned about mold in the cheese cave. 

Now that the Romano is in the press, I'm dreaming of my next cheesy adventure - perhaps Montasio.

Oh, BTW, this time when I made ricotta I ended up with about 1 good cup of ricotta cheese, not bad, after making 2 lbs of cheese.  So all in all I got an extra bit of ricotta for my troubles.   I'm thinking about making a bit of ricotta gnocchi with it.  Nope, it became dessert with fresh pears and a drizzle of chocolate syrup and honey.

Stay tuned for the next installment of cheesy adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment