Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cheese Today - Gouda 9/4/2011

Today, after we went grocery shopping, I decided to make gouda cheese.  I had all the supplies I needed and all the equipment too so off I went.  This time I made the recipe as outlined by Ricki Carroll on her website(http://www.cheesemaking.com under RECIPES).  I did, however, add some annato for color and some boiled caraway seeds and caraway cooking water (1/2 cup) to the mix.  The cheese recipe produced a copious amount of curd, so much so that I could not get it all in the 2 lb. mold I have, so I made up a little bit of fresh pressed cheese with the leftovers.

Right now the big cheese is in the press with 16 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes.  I know Ricki's recipe said to halve the pressing weight for the smaller cheese, but I want a more compact cheese so I decided to try it out with full weight.  The cheese looks good and I am very excited about making my own gouda.  Hope it takes good in a few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment