Friday, March 29, 2013

Italian Easter Rice and Ricotta Pie

To finish off the 2 lbs of whole milk ricotta I made, it was time to make the last of the special Easter pies.  The sweet ricotta and rice pie was a favorite of ours at Easter.  The grownups liked the savory Easter pie with lots of deli meats and cheeses, but we kids liked the sweet ricotta pie. 

I found a recipe on http://www.ciaoitalia.com which was absolutely perfect in every way, resplendent with orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon and vanilla flavors.  I chose to make the pie using wheat berries as opposed to rice, since I always have some of those on hand and I wanted to mix things up a bit.  Here's the pie when it was removed from the springform pan, cooling on a rack.  Can't wait to taste it with a cup of tea this evening after dinner..

No comments:

Post a Comment