Monday, December 19, 2011

Borscht and Sourdough Rye

Well, there is no such thing as just a little soup, but is there such a thing as too much soup? Yes, if it doesn't all fit in the pot. I went a little overboard today when making borscht. We bought too many beets and I ended up with 3 gallons of soup - too much for my 2 gallon pot, so there were two 2 gallon pots on the stove bubbling away with beets, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, fennel bulb, chicken broth and seasonings. I kept out a half gallon of soup and froze the rest - lots of soup for those cold winter nights.

And what I've been longing to do is make a sourdough rye to go with that soup. http://www.breadtopia.com has the perfect recipe - a dark rye with fennel, anise and caraway seeds as well as orange zest. I made the bread before and it is really tasty and hearty so right now I'm mixing up the dough and preparing it for its 12-14 hour rest overnight on the counter. Then, it will be shaped, allowed to proof, and baked, hopefully in time for lunch. Winter is a wonderful time for soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment