Friday, December 23, 2011

Amaretti Cookies - Again

Every year I torture myself by attempting to make amaretti.  This year was no exception, but I am so close to the perfect cookie I can smell them!  They are crunchy, chewy and just about right except for the shaping.  I really need to get a professional pastry bag and tips instead of relying on the el cheapo ones I bought years ago.  If I had the right tip these cookies would be perfect.

I couldn't bear to throw out the one egg white I had left over from yesterday's cookie baking(jam pockets). so I tried again.


Amaretti recipe for 1 egg white -

Preheat oven to 300F

5/8 cup almonds ground and sifted into bowl
¾ tsp. Cornstarch
¼ cup confectioners sugar, sifted into bowl

Combine all three in a bowl and mix well.

1 egg white
pinch cream of tartar
3 T. granulated sugar

In a separate bowl, beat 1 egg white and a pinch of cream of tartar until foamy.  Gradually add 3 T. granulated sugar one T. at a time beating well after each addition.  Continue to be the egg white until stiff peaks form.  

1/8 tsp. Almond extract

Fold in the almond mixture and almond extract into the egg white mixture.  Using a number seven tip in the pastry bag, pipe one inch circles of the mixture onto a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Bake for 30-40 minutes until lightly colored.  Turn off the oven, leave cookies in the oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven to cookie racks and allow the cookies to cool completely.  Store in an air tight canister.  Makes about 24 cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment