Tuesday, July 26, 2011

7/28/2011 What to Make with This Week's Box

This is what is coming in the Eatwell CSA Box this week:

Tomatoes
Strawberries
Bunching Onions
Basil
Mixed Potatoes
Summer Squash
Sweet Banana Peppers
Eggplant
Green Bell Peppers
Turnips
Poblano Peppers

Ah! The first tomatoes of the season - I wonder what kind they will be - we shall see - if they are cherry tomatoes, I may be tempted to make a Chawanmushi like I had at Nojo Restaurant, San Francisco last weekend.  Otherwise, they will be really good in a salad.  Strawberries will go into yogurt smoothies.  Basil will again be made into pesto and frozen.  Potatoes and turnips would be nice made up into an Indian dry spiced potato dish.  Banana and poblano peppers in Lamb Fajitas would be good.  Summer squash, some may be used in a chocolate zucchini bread, the rest as a side dish when cooked with the onions.   Of course the eggplant will become baba ganoush.

On another topic, we just signed up for a chicken CSA with Soul Food Farm in Vacaville.  They are starting a drop off location in Lafayette!  The farm also sells eggs and olive oil.  With the lamb from Mel and these chickens, I think our meat needs will be satisfied.  Looking forward to enjoying some fresh pasture raised chickens.

Also, I get my first order of this year's Expresso wheat berries from Nigel at Eatwell Farm.  It will be time to test out the new Wolfgang Fidibus 21 Grain Mill!

Right now, I'm just enjoying the aroma of fresh baked Cinnamon Raisin Bread.   I'm trying out different recipes from the Bread Baker's Apprentice.  I'm determined to master the techniques in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment