Monday, July 27, 2015

Coconut Macaroons - so easy!

I made 2 fruit tarts recently and from the process of making the tart shells, I had 4 eggs whites leftover, just enough to make a batch of coconut macaroons.  I found a recipe online, but then after buying the flaked and sweetened coconut I noticed there was a recipe on the back of the package, so I ditched the online recipe and decided to go with the recipe on the package.  I was not disappointed.  The only thing I will say is keeping your hands damp during the shaping of the macaroons will ease the stickiness factor.  I didn't dare touch anything in the kitchen until I was done shaping the macaroons.

The recipe -

Coconut Macaroons

1 package (5 1/3 cups) flaked sweetened coconut
4 eggs whites
2/3 cup sugar
6 TBSP. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional, I made mine without this and they were fine)

If you like your macaroons with a toasty coconut look, spread the coconut out on the silpat (or parchment paper) lined cookie sheet and bake in a 350F oven for 5-10 minutes until the edges are toasty.  Place the toasted coconut in a bowl and proceed with the rest of the recipe.

Preheat oven to 325F.
To the coconut, add the sugar, flour  and salt.  Stir to coat the coconut with the dry ingredients.  Add the egg whites and stir to combine.  Shape tablespoons of the mixture into balls and drop onto a silpat lined cookie sheet.  This recipe will make 24-36 macaroons depending on how big you make them.  Bake in 325F oven for 20-25 minutes, until the egg white looks set and the cookies no longer have a 'shiny' look.  When done, remove the cookies from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.  You may dip the cookies in chocolate for an added treat or drizzle with chocolate, that is if you can keep from eating them up.


No comments:

Post a Comment