Monday, October 28, 2013

What's cooking?

Today,  the whole chicken I froze from The Local Butcher in Berkeley finally thawed.  I parted out the whole chicken into breasts, thighs and legs for roasting and back, wings and skin for making broth(along with the attached chicken feet).  I asked Michael to give the chicken head to the compost worms as I have a hard time dealing with the chicken eye looking up at me whenever I open the pot to stir the broth (LOL).  We had oven roasted chicken with roasted potatoes and steamed green beans for lunch.  Meanwhile the chicken broth bubbled away along with 3 bay leaves,  an onion studded with 12 whole cloves, a dozen peppercorns, a roughly chopped carrot, 2 celery stalks roughly cut, and some parsley stems.   I had skimmed the chicken broth before adding the veggies so it would be clearer. 

The strained chicken broth became the base for split pea soup that was finally done just in time for dinner along with some more Insalata Trevignano.  The recipe for split pea soup can be found on the Dec. 23, 2012 listing in this blog. Nothing of that bird got wasted and I was feeling good about having a gallon or more of soup for this week's solo dinners when Michael is at work or for a quick lunch later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment