Saturday, October 19, 2013

What To Do with all that Radicchio!

We received a fairly large head of radicchio in this week's Eatwell Farm box.  The question is what to do with it.  I like radicchio added to a salad with other greens but how about by itself?  I found a recipe for insalata trevigiana- a salad from the city of Trevisio that features radicchio along with fennel bulb (which also appeared in this week's CSA box).  Here's the recipe -

3 bulbs of fennel (I have one huge bulb so will go with that)
1 head radicchio
75 grams walnuts (I like pecans instead)
150 grams gorgonzola cheese (like it but I'm using the 3 year old homemade lavender ricotta salata)
Olive oil 8 TBSP (maybe go a little lighter here)
3 TBSP balsamic vinegar
3 TBSP lemon (I assume to keep the fennel from turning brown)
1 TBSP honey
25 grams Parsley
Salt and pepper

Wash the fennel, remove the hard core and slice thinly (using my V-slicer (aka Mandolin) for this)
Place in bowl.  Wash and trim the radicchio, shred, but not too finely and add to bowl.  Roughly chop the walnuts (I used toasted pecans), dice/crumble the gorgonzola and add both to the salad.  Roughly chop the parsley.  Make a dressing of the oil, lemon juice, vinegar honey and parsley.

Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.  Pour over the salad and mix.  Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment