Friday, February 15, 2013

What's cookin' today?

Today, I caught up on some cooking to use what we get from Eatwell Farm.

There were three or four watermelon daikon languishing in the vegie bin so it was time to make some daikon pickles before they went bad.  I peeled the daikon to remove the tough outer skin and then ran then thru my mandolin/v-slicer to slice them super thin.  I placed all the daikon shreds into a large glass jar(repurposed peanut butter jar).  Then I made a brine of 1 cup water, 1 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, 5/8 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon salt.  Stirred the brine to dissolve the sugar and salt and poured it over the daikon.  Finally, placed the whole thing in the fridge to soak for a couple of days.  The pickles don't maintain their distinctive watermelon look(pink insides, white outside, surrounded by green outermost 'rind'), but they do look pretty when the pink color permeates the whole daikon.  I added a few shards of daikon into the pickled ginger we have, in order to get the characteristic pink color of the beni shoga you see in Japanese food markets.

Pickled watermelon daikon -

No comments:

Post a Comment